Saturday, June 2, 2018

Hive 7 - June Tutorial



I'm excited to be the queen of Hive 7 this month.  I have such a long list of blocks to make that I had a difficult time choosing just one.  I've chosen the Crown & Thorns block,  which looks complex but really isn't. It took me longer to choose fabrics than make the block.

I used the tutorial from Generations Quilt Patterns which can be found here.  I'm not too fussy about color.  Choose two colors that you can make a bit scrappy and low volume background fabrics and I'll be happy.

Fabric Pull - Just to give you an idea.  Choose your own colors.

For 1 block you need :
Center fabric - (4) 3 1/2" squares + (2) 4" squares
Outside fabric - (6) 4" squares
Low Volume Background Fabric - (5) 3 1/2" squares + (8) 4" squares

* I used 4" squares for the HSTs and then trimmed to 3 1/2.  

After making HSTs, I place the pieces to see how it would look.  As you can see, I had one piece going the wrong direction.  And in the end, the units found new homes.
I did spin the seams but it didn't always work out for me!


I can't wait to see the colors you choose!  

RobinSue



No comments: