Friday, June 1, 2018

Hive 1 June 2018 block tutorial. . . . aka Checker



Hello All. . . . I'm Sherry and this is the second year that I have been on Stash Bee.


I live in NJ with my husband and two dogs (Bailey and Lacey).


Fabric and yarn have been in my life for my entire life, my grandmother sewed and crocheted.  My fondest memories are of a bittersweet orange (that was the name of a color "back in the day") paisley patterned long dress with lace that she made me for my 5th Grade graduation.  Yup, I am dating myself big time!! LOL


I started out with templates and hand piecing and have graduated, sometimes kicking and screaming, to mostly machine piecing and machine quilting on a Nolting 17" Fun Quilter.


While I still enjoy hand piecing and hand quilting I do appreciate the speedier completion times with the use of machines.


Ok, onto my block.


I have chosen "Checker" from Blossom Heart Quilts for my block.  It is part of her "The Bee Hive" group of 25 blocks that cover all types of piecing techniques.


It is a 12" block. . . . and is very deceiving in its simplicity!
I had used this block as my block choice for a different block swap. . . .and I would like to get more blocks in order to make a larger quilt.


The block requires just a bit of care in making sure that the pieces are all in the correct position.
Here are pictures of blocks that I have to give you an idea of the colors that I am going for (purple, yellow, orange and gray):



The pieces you will need to cut are as follows:


Yellow  ---- 1 square @ 5"     AND    1 square @ 7.5"


Orange ---- 1 square @ 5"    AND    1 square @ 7.5"


Purple --- 1 rectangle @ 2" x 12.5"   AND   1 rectangle @ 2" x 7"   AND 
                1 rectangle @ 2" x 4.5"


Gray --- 2 rectangles @ 4.5" x 7"
Please do NOT press the seams open. . . .yup, I am probably the only person that still presses them to the "dark" when possible.  I just do not like the "fiddlyness" of pressing open.
NOTE:  Please see that I have the orange and yellow in opposite positions in the block.


Feel free to use any method you wish to make the half square triangles (HSTs) from the yellow and orange.  Here is the way that I usually do them:
Draw a diagonal line on the lighter square; then mark 1/4" from each side of that line.  Sew on that line and cut apart on the center drawn line:




The 7.5" HSTs should be trimmed down to 7".
The 5" HSTs should be trimmed down to 4.5".




Sewing the components together is very easy. . . . think of the block as a variation on the nine patch:
(sorry, I did not take a picture of the block after sewing the long purple piece in.)





And there you have it. . . . . a 12.5" (unfinished) block called "Checker".


Thank you so much for helping me make blocks for this quilt.  It is going to be pretty fabulous -- at least in my mind and opinion.  Here is how I am planning on setting the blocks:




I think it creates a very modern take on pinwheels. . . . .and the added bonus is that there is not a lot of seams to match!  That is a win in my book.
If you have any questions please let me know.  My internet access may be a little "iffy" for the next week or so, but I will reply as soon as I can.


Have a quilty day!
Sherry V.





1 comment:

Liz Horgan said...

Sherry--I posted my block, but forgot to add that I'll get them in the mail to you this week.
Liz