Thursday, June 1, 2017

Hive 5 Queen Bee Tutorial for June

Hello everyone!
I’m Patti and I live in DeLand, Florida which is about half way between Orlando and Daytona Beach. As you would expect, summer is already here. I am an Academic Coach at our local middle school and I’m a member of the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild. Last summer, my daughter started the Quilts for Pulse drive and we worked all summer with our guild opening boxes, labeling, sewing, catalogueing, etc. It was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done! I’m also a grammy to my two favorite little boys who are five and eight and live near us. I’m a lucky woman.
I’ve been admiring the work of Mary Rose Bird on Instagram (maryrose_bird) for awhile so I’ve chosen her X and + blocks. She’s given me permission to use her pictures and she shared the website of the tutorial she used when making the blocks. These are a few of her gorgeous blocks.





                            

Here is the website of the tutorial: www.badskirt.blogspot.com.  
I would like the plus to be a raspberry color (bright pink), the end of the pluses to be turquoise, the large X’s to be large flowered fabric (4 different fabrics) and the background should be off white or ivory. The ivory can be tone on tone, it doesn’t need to be a solid and they should all match.
Here is my fabric pull for the flowered fabric. Think Anna Maria Horner or Amy Butler. The fabrics should be bright with jewel tones and/or saturated color (the pic doesn’t have the best color). You will need four different fabrics, and while I tried to make sure mine went together, don’t over think it, they don’t need to be too matchy matchy.

This is a picture of the fabric I used for the pluses – raspberry and turquoise.









Here’s a few of the blocks I put together.



This block went together rather quickly. I just followed the tutorial. Please make sure that the block can be squared up to 8 inches.  It honestly took me longer to cut the fabric than it did to sew it together. They are rather addictive, be careful.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Patti - I'm excited to make this block! What was your two truths and a lie??

Kristen said...

I love this block - it was my choice last year for this bee!

Pattil712 said...

My address
505 Briar Oak Way
DeLand FL 32724
Thanks, Patti