Thursday, June 1, 2017

Hive 6 June Block Tutorial

Hello there,  I am Paulette from western Canada.  My little city is about a 4 hour drive to Vancouver. I have been quilting a long time, about 35 years. And I have loved every stitch along the way.  I am the mother to 7 children, play violin in one orchestra, and percussion in another.  I was a stay at home mom but when my husband went into semi-retirement, I got a job at a stained glass store.  I worked there 9 years and now am working at my dream job....one of the local quilt stores. This is a picture of me with a small scrap quilt I made and took to a long arm quilting class. I will be renting that machine to do more. Finished is good. And yes!, I do have purple in my hair.


I had a hard time deciding on a block until I read a blog from crazymomquilts. I have been working at fitting into the modern movement and Amanda Jean Nyberg's quilt "Big Nines" really struck a good chord with me. 



Find the link here   Big Nines Tutorial

I love how graphic but simple the block is.  It finishes in the quilt at 16 " x 16 ".

I decided that I wanted red, white and black. This is my fabric pull.



White :  I would prefer pure white over creamy whites and that there is some subtle print on it.
Red: I love red. Please use nice bright reds.  I would love them to "be in your face". 
Black: I hope you can find blacks that have some white, grey, or even silver on them. I would prefer lots of design so they don't look like a black hole.
No solids for any of the colours please.

Here is a red and white nine patch surrounded by black.




You can choose to use just two fabrics for the block as in this close-up sample.


or use all three fabrics in each block.   



I think I prefer the blocks with three colors/fabrics but if you only two that work, I am OK with whatever you choose.

The cutting is very easy and you can get the large pieces out of a fat quarter. Cut your largest pieces first, then the pieces for the nine patch.  Please press seams away from the nine patch when adding the large pieces.

Isn't this fun. The cutting and sewing was so easy, I made all my samples in less than an hour. I hope you have fun picking out fabrics and sewing them up.
I have no particular plans for the quilt except to practice my quilting and hopefully have a dynamic and modern quilt in the end.


Have fun everyone,  Thank you so much for participating.  I am looking forward to many happy mail days.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Paulette... These are striking... I am going to see if I can get my stuff together to make you one.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

This will be fun! I love nine patches.