Thursday, October 1, 2015

Hive 4 October Tutorial

It's Laura and I cannot believe that it is already October!  It seems like this year has flown by at light speed. I have had my block picked out for quite a while and hope you have as much fun making it as I did. This should be an easy block as we will be making 9 patch scrappy blocks accented by low volume backgrounds.
  

When I saw the completed Stash Bee quilt that Courtney, who blogs at Mon Petit Lyons, made, I absolutely loved it!  Nothing like simple patchwork to make my heart sing. :)  You can find Courtney's tutorial here.  Like the tutorial, I want bright happy colors (no black or brown, please) with low volume background squares.


Quick Stats:

45  2" x 2" squares (cut from scraps)
4  5" x 5" low volume squares
using a 1/4" seam my block measures 14"x 14"

I thought I had a method to press the seams but it did not work, so press the seams to nest on the small 9 patches, then press the large 9 patch to nest those seams too. I just pinned to make the seams line up correctly.  If you have questions, please let me know.

My question for this month is, what is at the top of your bucket list of quilts that you want to make? Mine is a postage stamp quilt made with 2" squares. I have been saving squares for a couple of years, but I still have a few more to go, as in a few hundred, haha, and I did not use any of those for this block. :)





3 comments:

barbara woods said...

i'm in scrap over load and that looks like a great one to use them up.
thanks for the idea

Courtney said...

I'm so glad you liked my quilt! It's a really fun one. You'll love looking at all of the different fabrics in the blocks you get!

Barb Neiwert said...

This will be fun! I just spent time today cutting out 2.5-inch blocks from scraps. It will be easy to cut them down to 2-inch blocks to use for your block!