Saturday, August 1, 2026

Hive 5 August 2026 Tutorial Quirky Shoo Fly for Susan


This one is hopefully fun for you.  It is rather improv which is one of my favorite techniques.

I like bright colors with lots of contrast.  This makes a happy cheery quilt.  


Start with the center.  It can be a square, a rectangle (vertical or   horizontal)  It can be fussy cut or a plain piece of fabric.  It's one of a kind.  Only one of this in the block, because it came from your stash and thoughts, I already love it.  Quirky is special.  

If you love to fussy cut, or want to experiment, that is perfect.  You have the opportunity to create a fussy cut that is not restricted by size.  I hate it when I have the cutest image and it falls outside the block size required.  I suggest cutting 1/2 inch beyond the image on all four sides.  2 sides should be parallel, but the other two could be slanted.  Then if you have an unregular size, use the center to cut the other blocks for the block.  Measurements are not required.  


The other eight pieces of the block  are the same fabric or the same color fabric, but different prints.  Like the two yellow fabrics in this one.  My block did not come up the right size, so I will be adding another yellow fabric strip to this to bring it up to size.  That's called a coping strip and if you use the same fabric, no one will be the wiser....except you guys because I confessed my error to you.  So don't tell!

Also you will need some scrappy snowballs for the corner blocks.  We are going to snowball one corner of each corner block with.....again options:

A. Four different fabrics or colors


B.   Four different sizes or 


C. Four different shapes or



D.  Your own idea for a snowball!  I'm sure I haven't thought of all the possibilities.  Also, any combination of these options will also work.  It's improvisatory, no rules, no rigidity, no negatives.  

The easiest construction is make everything 4.5 inches square....yielding a 12.5 inch block.  And that's great if you choose that...then the fabrics are the focus.  So pick something you love that reads a solid, and something for the center that is different.  The quirky thing will be the snowballs.  I would snowball the four corner blocks (4.5) with a 3.5"square, a 3" square, a 2.5" square and a 1.5" square.  Any combination or pattern will work.  Just place the square on the correct corner and sew a diagonal line and trim.  Sew the block together like a nine patch and send it to me.  

If you center is not a square, here's the method I used.  Lay your center on the edge of your background and cut a strip the same width as your center.  (The background strip needs to be at least 13-14 inches long.  Then cut that strip in half...that's your center top and bottom.  Then lay the center strip horizontally and cut the your background the same  width (it actually is the same length as the center, but you just laid it down horizonitally so the definition changed.  Hope that made sense)  as your center piece  This is your two center sides.  Make your corner blocks from the same fabric.  Make them oversized but should match the height of the top center block and the width of the middle blocks.  

Next easiest method would be to keep the 4.5 inch squares and then snowball with a rectangle instead of a square.  Or a combination of rectangles and squares.  If you use a rectangle, start with a larger piece of fabric and place the edge of the fabric on an angle that is not a 90-degree angle. Like these two upper blocks.   Then trim.  


If you want to be daring, you can play with the proportions and make the centers smaller or larger than the 4.5" block and make it rectangular.   You will need to make your other blocks correspond to the different size.  You can use math, or you can wing it.    If you are totally improvising this, add an extra inch or so to the outside blocks so you can guarantee it will reach 12.5 inches.  



Stitch together,then trim to 12.5:


You'll notice that I tried improve curves here for my snowballs.  It was okay, I think it was cute, but I'm not the one to teach you how to do that.  I will say that I sewed them and then trimmed them to fit the block.  So if you are feeling Quirky...do this .  I can definetly press better than this appears, but I was just playing with fabric.  

The goal:  send me a 12.5 inch block with a cute center and four triangle-ish fabrics pointing to the center.  I don't prefer any color or design, or type of fabric.  Just what is near your cutting table and I will enjoy it.  

Thanks tons! I hope you have fun playing with fabric!!!

Susan


No comments: