Sunday, September 1, 2024

Hive 7 - September Tutorial - Quilts of Valor

September has arrived too quickly. I had a million ideas flirting in my head. Since the traditional guild in my town is celebrating its 50th anniversary, they have decided to create 50 Quilts of Valor this year. I have committed to making two. One is now at the long armer. I would love you to help me build a second one with a modern feel. 

I would like STARS. Since our hive has been having so much fun with the "choose your own adventure" approach, you may choose the pattern and size. 

There are many interesting patterns that are not too traditional (see examples in final picture). Please choose whatever pattern you prefer, in whatever size you wish, as long as they read as stars. They may be pieced or paper pieced, but please no appliqué. 

If you'd like some ideas, Moda has directions for 40 different stars at their blockheads5 website. To see the directions, click on the view button under each one.

I will lay out the all the blocks randomly and will fill the blanks to give the quilt a modern look. 

Colours are WHITE, RED and BLUE: in solid, in geometric, in stripes, in modern prints. Please no flowers, no civil war, no calico, no patriotic pattern either. 

    Reds: clear or rich (no pinkish or orange tones) 
    Blues: from medium blue to dark navy 
    White, white on white (avoid the off white, beige, cream) 

Here are some print style examples:
Here are 3 examples of star blocks:
These 3 patterns were picked from quilterscache.com. There are tones of block ideas of every style on that site. You can choose by name or by size or go through all the pages. 

Thanks for warming the heart of a deserving veteran❣️  

Here's an unusual request. Please mail your block(s) after September 10th. My mail is being held at the post office until September 12th. Of course, you may post them on IG as soon as they are done as I would love to see them earlier. I will notify you about their arrival after September 12th.

 Diane

No comments: