Sunday, September 1, 2024

HIVE 3 - September Tutorial- Bright Shoo Fly Block for Wendi

 I love traditional quilt blocks in bright, modern fabrics! I have chosen the Shoo Fly quilt block for my month. There is a tutorial here for the 12" Shoo Fly block: https://www.polkadotchair.com/shoo-fly-quilt-block-tutorial/

I prefer bright colors, no juvenile prints, and no Christmas holiday fabric. Red, pink, orange, yellow, green, aqua, blue, purple or any color in between. Scrappy background fabric is good: white, white-on-white, cream, white-on-cream, or coordinating low volume fabrics welcome. I am wanting a nice scrappy look! Here are some pictures for color inspiration:

 


You will need the following for one 12" quilt block: 

2 - 5"X5" blocks of brightly colored fabric for half square triangles

2 - 5"X5" blocks of background fabric for half square triangles

4 - 4.5"X4.5" blocks of background fabric

1 - 4.5"X4.5" block for block center (I fussy cut the block in this example but I don't expect you to do so unless you want to. You could also piece this block center from 4 - 2.5” squares if you’d like, the scrappier the better!).


Use your method of choice to make 4 half square triangles from the 5"X5" squares - I use the 2-at-a-time method shown in the referenced tutorial. I draw lines on the back of my background fabric using a quilters' quarter ruler and sew on both lines, then cut the blocks apart.

Press and trim the half square triangles down to 4.5"X4.5".

Arrange the finished blocks in the following order. Sew the blocks together and press as desired:

One 12" Shoo Fly block complete! Thank You so much, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

No comments: