Monday, July 1, 2024

Hive 6 July tutorial - Old Missouri

 For my July block, I wanted to remake an antique block called Old Missouri. I originally found this pattern in my box of saved patterns from the Kansas City Star.  I grew up in Missouri, and I still live here. I have a great love for my state. I want to make a red white and blue quilt. 

The Fabrics: You can use solids, patterns, or blenders for any of these fabrics as long as they read red, white, or blue. Kitschy or patriotic fabrics are welcomed.

Finished practice block


This is the 1932 newspaper template that inspired this block

  • 3 blues: Line them up from darkest to lightest. The darkest for the corner triangles, second darkest for the bars, and lightest for the center piece. 
  • Red: Any red for the two quarter circles.
  • Background: white, white-on-white, or off-white
Here is a picture of the fabrics I am considering.  I love a scrappy quilt, so you will notice that my sample block uses cats and flowers. If it's red, white, and blue, it works!



Cutting:
  1. Print out the templates I've created and cut them out. I have modified the original pattern to include seam allowances. Once it is printed, check to make sure the templates match the measurements. I realized that I had to download the pdf document to get the right sizes instead of printing from the web. (Note: the measurements I've written of the template reflect the original pattern, without seam allowances)
  2. Use template piece 1 to cut a 4 1/2 x 4 3/4 a rectangle in the lightest blue for the center piece. You could also just cut this without the template.
  3. Use template piece 2 to cut a 2 3/4 x 4/14 TWO medium blue bars.  You could also just cut this without the template.
  4. Use template 3 to cut two tringles in the darkest blue, or cut a 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 inch square and cut it on the diagonal.
  5. Fold your background fabric in half and use template # 4 twice to cut four background arches, two facing each direction.
  6. Use template piece 5 to cut two red quarter circles. 
Sewing: 
  1. Sew two opposite facing background arches together on the short straight seam, right sides together. Then, sew the other two opposite pieces together, right sides together. You will end up with two of these.

  2. Fold the quarter circles in half and finger press them to find the center. Line up the center of the quarter circle with the center seam of the arch. Using a quarter-inch seam, carefully stitch the arch to the quarter circle. Here is a video you can watch about how to sew this drunkard's path. Repeat for the second drunkard's path. This was my first time sewing curves on a quilt block. Mine practice block is not perfect, so I am not expecting perfect blocks from you guys either.
  3. Next sew the two medium blues (pieces # 2) on to both sides of the center piece (piece #1). Press toward the darker blues. Press toward the red. 
  4. Find the center of both dark blue triangles by folding them in half. Align this crease with the center of the medium blue bar stitch a triangle onto both medium blue bars. Your path now has light center (piece 1), bookended by two medium blue bars (pieces 2). These are bookended by two dark blue triangles (pieces three) that form the corners of the block. Press toward the darker blues.
  5. Sew one drunkards path on to both sides of the path. I pressed to the white to reduce bulk. You can press toward the blues. 



No comments: