Saturday, September 2, 2023

Hive 6 - September Tutorial - Cats and Hearts for Kat

 Hello! Im very excited it is finally my month!


I have two option for you to make, either a heart or a cat, of course you are welcome to make both! In the last few month I had some trouble with parts of the blocks so I wanted something easy, quick and fun. Ive been inspired by this quilt:


 

I love the look of the tik tak toe so I designed my own cat head block and found a matching sized free heart pattern and I will likely turn it into a twin sized quilr rather than wall hanging. Im not sure yet if Im making the wuilt for myself or my daughter but in all honesty we will probably end up sharing anyway, haha.




The colours for the hearts and cats are the same:

Heart or cat head:

- light grey (with patterns or tone in tone or solids, no novelty fabrics unless they are cat themed, heart patterns are fine)

OR

- mustard/ocher yellow (Not Orange!) (same kinda fabrics as above)

OR

-Yellow/grey mixed fabrics

I would like the cat/heart to be all made of the same fabric please

Here is a picture of the fabrics I used (they came as a set and Ive been waiting for ages for the right quilt to use them with:


For the background:

-If you choose yellow please use a very light brown/tan/linen colour

-If you use grey please use a very light mint/blue green/cyan colour

-If your fabrics is grey and yellow chose one of the above

Please use only on fabric and solids for the background please (tone in tone is also fine)

Here are the two I used:


I dont mind which direction you iron the seams, whatever works for you is fine.
Both blocks should meassure 9.5"x9.5" when finished


Tutorial Cat


You will need to cut:

Cat fabric:

1x rectangle 8"x 5.25"

2x squares 3.25"x 3.25"


Background fabric:

1x rectangle 8"x 3.25"

2x squares   1.5"x 1.5"

2x stripes 8"x 1.25"

2 stripes 9.5"x 1.25"


The you should have:





Step 1:

Mark the center line of all your sqares and arrange them as follows:






You will be sewing ON the line, then cut as follows with a 1/4" seam and iron:





Next attache the two parts together:


When you attach the outside border please start with the sides then the top and bottom:































Your finished block should look like this:




























Heart Block tutorial

I used the tutorial from the 8" block here , just be aware I changed some of the sizes so make sure you use the sizes here.

You will need to cut:

Heart fabric:

2x rectangles 4.25" x 8"


Background fabric:

2x squares 4.25" x 4.25"

4x squares 1.5" x 1.5"

2x strips 8" x 1.25"

2 stripes 9.5" x 1.25"


The you should have:






















Step 1:

Mark out the center diagonal of all sqares and sew ON the lines














Step 2:

Cut all the triangles with a 1/4" seam as follows and iron open















Step 3:

Attach the two sides of the heart















Step 4:

Just like with the cat it is time to attach the border. Again please attach the sides first then the top and bottom:















And here is the finished block, yours may look slightly different since I changed some meassurments after sewing this. Just keep to the meassurements I put above and itll be perfect.
















Thanks so much for making a block for me. I cant wait to see them all and put together the quilt!

1 comment:

mumziepooh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.