Monday, May 1, 2023

Hive 1 - May Tutorial - Hidden Wells for Candice

I am 100% the person who has an obsession with purchasing jelly rolls.  Because of this, I love all patterns that need pieces that are 2.5" wide, bonus points if I can just sew the strips together.

So - the May block is a simple use of 2.5" strips.  The pattern is called Hidden Wells and I based it on the pattern supplied by Connie Kresin.

For the material - you will need 4 different fabrics (I don't care what color, pattern, or type as long as they're cotton).  From each color, you will need a strip that is 2.5" x 18".

         
1. Line up the strips and sew them together using 1/4" seams, give it a press.

2. Cut the big piece into 8" pieces.  You should have some to toss out, but I always cut a little bigger than needed just in case my sewing gets wonky.

3. Trim the opposite sides until you have 2 blocks that are 8"x8"
        
4. Lay the blocks right sides together with the lines facing opposite directions.
5. Sew a 1/4" seam around the entire block.
6. Cut the sewn block diagonally across, making an "X" through the middle.  You will have 4 separate squares now.  
      
7.  Lay out the blocks so they make a diamond in the center, like the photo above.  
8.  Sew the blocks together in sets of 2, then sew those together to make the finished block.
As you can see matching points is not a strength I have, so please don't be afraid to send your blocks if the points aren't perfect.  I am just excited to see your fabric choices!

1 comment:

Nicole Powers said...

I was so inspired by this block that I'm making my own quilt top using this pattern. Thanks for the inspiration!