Monday, May 1, 2023

Hive 3 - May Tutorial - Woven Heart Block

 Hello everyone!  I have the tutorial for May.  I have considered at least four different blocks and this is my second post.  I scrapped that last one, maybe because I thought about it too long. Anyway, I don’t have a recipient in mind for this quilt yet but I thought that a heart quilt would be something that I can gift to a number of people. And it is just time to stop waffling on this one!  

I am trying to put together a small inventory of quilt tops so that when I need or want to give a quilt to someone, I just have to make the sandwich and bind it!  I never get enough time to plan for these things. 








I followed a tutorial by PattyMacMakes and you can too here:


It is pretty easy and just takes full squares and HSTs. 

So basically the HSTs are 5.5”x5.5” and trimmed to 4.5”x4.5”. The full squares are 4.5”x4.5”.  You should end up with 16.5x16.5 squares. 

I am asking that each heart be within the same color family. Please include different shades as well as solids and patterns. I had 6 different colors which meant that some were repeated. But you are welcome to use more. The white should be a solid white with no pattern. 

Also, pinks and reds or traditional ‘heart’ fabrics and colors are fine but don’t be afraid to mix things up. All the normal rules apply with the prints - please no holidays, trademarked, political fabrics. And no batiks either please. If you use an all over floral, please make sure it is modern. I am really excited to see how different patterned and colored hearts look together in one quilt! 

I hope you enjoy making this square!  Happy quilting!

Beth Norton

No comments: