Friday, December 31, 2021

Hive 3 January Tutorial - Scrappy Heart Block for Robin Sue

Happy 2022!  

Let's Make It Scrappy!

I'm excited to start the year with this scrap buster block.  I like to cut my scraps into a variety of sizes - 2" 2.5" 3" 3.5" 4",4.5" 5" and strips.  This way I'm ready for scrappy sewing.



The block I finally settled on is the Scrappy Heart block by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

The author of this block does an excellent tutorial, although, you might have to scroll down to find it.



Colors:  Your Choice!  I am requesting that you use "happy" colors and that your fabrics are all in a similar color.


Here are my fabrics used.  I had to pull my low volumes from my 3.5" box & cut down to size.
  • 5 - 3" your choice of color
  • 5 - 3" low volume or white
  • 20 - 2.5 your choice of color
  • 6 - 2.5 low volume or white
As you can see, I have duplicates of some fabrics - I didn't want to cut into other fabrics.  Lazy, I know!

Match 3" color with 3" low volume/white.  These are for the HSTs.  

Mark corner to corner

I put a scrap under the needle before I sew HSTs

Sew 1/4" away from marked line

Make sure you sew on both sides of the line

Cut on the line

Press open (my personal preference) and trim to 2.5"


Lay out pieces to make the heart.
Sew using 1/4" seam.  I sewed in columns and then sewed the columns together.  
There is no right or wrong way.  

After I connected the columns, I pressed seams open.  Then pinned the rows and sewed.




I snipped the connecting threads, then pressed open all seams.




I'm planning to sew more scraps into these heart blocks.  Can't wait to see yours!

RobinSue







No comments: