Saturday, September 25, 2021

Hive 5 October Tutorial - Scrappy Block

 Hello everyone. 


Greetings from the north west of England. I don't know what it is like in your part of the world but as I type it has been a gloriously sunny day, although there is a hint of Autumn in the air and the leaves are beginning to turn.
 
My block for this month is inspired by the Twisted Sister quilt-along hosted by @sweetrubyquilts and @mollylovelythreads on Instagram back in Spring 2021. Scroll through the feed to see some fantastic colourways.

I would like each of you to make a scrappy 12.5" x 12.5" block using some of your favourite fabrics. I would like you to use low volume fabrics for the 'B' half square triangles but leave it up to you to choose the other fabrics. I'm hoping for bright, modern fabric - please no novelty fabrics or batiks.

Here is a photo of my practice block -





...and a diagram to show the layout 


...and different elements of the design along with cutting instructions.



Clockwise from top left - A 3.5" x 3.5"  D 4" x 4"  E 7" x 7"  C 4" x 4"


From the left - F 9.5" x 3.5",  6.5" x 3.5",  4" x 4"



From the low volume B fabric cut one 7" x 7" and three 4" x 4"

To create the half square triangle (HST) units, pair up the following combinations - 

B/E 7" x 7"
B/F 4" x 4"
B/C 4" x 4"
B/D 4" x 4"

Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the B square. Pin right sides together with its partner. Sew either side of the drawn line. Cut on the drawn line. Fold open and press to the dark side.
Trim the HST units to 3.5" square (B/CB/D and B/F) and to 6.5" square for B/E. (Sorry, you will end up with a spare B/E HST)





Sew together the pieces together as shown in these photos.









I hope you are able to follow these instructions and I so look forward to receiving your blocks.
I haven't as yet decided whether I will make a quilt, a throw or a foot warmer for the end of the bed. I'll certainly post a photo on Instagram and on the group chat. 

Many thanks,

Debbie 


 


No comments: