Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Hive 1 September Tutorial - Rainbow Stars

Happy September from Pennsylvania! With fall right around the corner, I hope everyone is looking forward to sweater weather and autumn activities as much as I am! 

I've known all year that I wanted to ask for a colorful-background block with a white design, but it took me until this week to nail down the block. I'm sure it goes by another name, but the tutorial I found is just called the Star Pattern. I'm asking you to make this as a 12" x 12" block (12.5" x 12.5" unfinished) with the star(s) in a solid white or white-on-white fabric, and the background as a colorful (ROYGBIV) tone-on-tone or blender. 


The thing I like about this block is that the corner quarter stars will combine when I sew all of your blocks together, and integrate the whole design! It should look something like this: 


Fabric Selection

Any colorful fabric that reads as a single color will work for the background of the block! Here is the fabric pull from my stash:


For the white, I'd prefer a true white (rather than cream or off-white), either solid or white-on-white. Here's the pull from my stash:

Cutting Instructions

I've been making no-waste geese lately, but if you prefer to use another method, your cutting instructions will differ slightly. For that reason, I kept the geese to their own section.

Color:
  • Four 2.5" x 2.5" squares
  • Four 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles (if a directional print, cut two in each direction)
  • Four 3" x 3" squares (cut diagonally for HSTs - hold on this for the moment if your print is directional)
White:
  • One 4.5" x 4.5" square
  • Four 2.5" x 2.5" square
  • Four 3" x 3" square (cut diagonally for HSTs - hold on this for the moment if your print is directional)
Geese (these cutting instructions are for no-waste):
  • Color - One 5.25" x 5.25" square
  • White - Four 2 7/8" x 2 7/8"squares 



Sewing Instructions

HSTs: Start by cutting your 3" squares on the diagonal to make your 8 HSTs. If you're using a directional print, you'll want to cut two of the squares on one diagonal, and two of the squares on the other. 

Chain piece together and press. I've been pressing all seams open lately, but if you prefer to press to one side, press towards the color.

HSTs are trimmed to 2.5" x 2.5"

Geese: I used the no-waste technique, but feel free to do this another way. 

For the no-waste technique, start with the large square right side up and two small squares on the diagonal. Mark corner-to-corner and sew 1/4" on either side of the line. Then, cut along that line:


Press the white triangles open, then place the remaining two white squares in the empty corners. Mark corner-to-corner of the white square:


Sew 1/4" on either side of both lines, and cut along the line:


Press open, and trim to 2.5" x 4.5". While trimming, try and keep 1/4" between the top of the colorful triangle and the edge of the block:


Assembly Instructions

Now you have all the pieces you need - lay them out for assembly.



Start by assembling individual pieces to make a nine-patch. For the corners, combine two HSTs with two 2.5" squares. For the sides, combine the geese with the 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles. The middle is the 4.5" white square.

I assembled into three rows first, then combined. Whatever your preferred method is for assembling a nine-patch will work great!


 
Here's the view from the back. As I mentioned, I've been pressing seams open, but I'm not particular. Pressing towards the color will work as well!


Can't wait to see what you all come up with! Thank you SO MUCH for your time and talents! 

- Julia D.

No comments: