Monday, May 31, 2021

Hive 2 June Tutorial- Log Cabin Block

I don’t know about anyone else when they were planning their queen bee block, but I had such consternation. I first picked out a block and I wanted to make changes to fit an idea in my head. I made a test block, and didn’t like it.This morning inspiration struck, how about a LOG CABIN. 

Many years ago as an aspiring quilter, not actually sewing, just reading books and patterns. It might have been in the early 2000s, I read a quilt pattern book and there was a log cabin pattern called Sunshine in the Window, where the author used a yellow block instead of a red block to start the cabin. Why not use this block as my first block bee?! So here’s my tutorial for the log cabin block.


I really like a scrappy look and seeing what kinds of fabric people have in their stash. My two requests is that the yellow chosen for the middle block be vibrant enough to stand out from the low volume strips and try to avoid navy blue for the dark/medium strips. Most of my stash is HEAVY with navy blue. I most likely will make additional blocks using navy blue prints.


YOU WILL NEED:

From Yellow

One 2.5x2.5 inch Square

From Low Volume

One 2.5x2.5 inch Square

One 2.5x4.5 inch Strip

One 2.5x6.5 inch  Strip

One 2.5x8.5 inch  Strip

One 2.5x10.5 inch Strip

One 2.5x12.5 inch  Strip

From Dark or Medium 

One 2.5x4.5  inch Strip

One 2.5x6.5  inch Strip

One 2.5x8.5 inch  Strip

One 2.5x10.5 inch  Strip

One 2.5x12.5  inch Strip

One 2.5x14.5 inch Strip


Don’t be like me and forget to cut the 2.5x8.5 inch strip EEEKKKK!!



This log cabin block is constructed like a traditional log cabin block.


First sew the yellow square to the low volume square, and then the low volume 2.5x4.5 strip to the two squares.



Then add your dark/ medium strips and low volume strips following the diagram below.


Your block should measure 14.5 inches square.



If my directions are difficult to understand, please use the link below.


How to construct a Log Cabin Block


I am so excited to see what you all come up with. My favorite part of this bee is seeing everyone’s blocks posted.

Happy Quilting!

<3 Deanna


No comments: