Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Hive 3 July Tutorial - Scrappy Blue Squares


Hive 3 Mates, it has been crazy times this year.  Hope things are returning to some type of normal for everyone.

My name is Jan and I have been in Bees for the last 4 years.  I started quilting in the Fall of 2015, so it has been a fun five years.

Whenever I bought fabric collections, layer cakes, charm packs or bundles, I also bought a mini charm pack.  Earlier this year I put together a stamp quilt using all those packs.  I used 1600 2.5 x 2.5 blocks.  It made 25 8x8 blocks.

I love this quilt.  Now I want to do one with blues, navy, dark blues and a few whites.  I don't have much variety in the blues so am asking for your help.

It will be an easy block.  Thirty six 2.5 x 2.5 pieces.  If you have a variety of blues that will be great.


Cut 36 2.5 x 2.5 fabrics.  I know that the rules say no more than 10 fabrics.  Dig through your scraps.  If you have more than 10 and want to get rid of a few, you can use more than 10.  If you don't have ore than 10 that is ok.  Put together 6 rows of 6 pieces.  Put those rows together for one block.

If each row uses the same fabrics not a problem, no need to sew the rows together.  Just send the 6 rows and I will mix things up when I get them.  Also, no need to iron or trim your rows.

Here are the blues that I have in my stash.  I'm looking for darker colors.  If they are whites with blues a small amount of that is good, maybe one piece per row of 6.

Try to stay away from pale blues and baby blues.








I put one block together.  














1 comment:

Joan Hannes said...

Hey Jan,
I’m in Hive 1 and have lots of 2 1/2” blue pieces and would be happy to send them to you. Let me know, Joan
Will need your address.