Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Hive 2: January Block Tutorial - Log cabin

Welcome to the year 2020 and the first block for January with new hive mama Gayle.

For my block I would like a free form log cabin block, 15 inch in size. Easy to make but hope my particulars are not too challenging. 

Color palette:

Any black and white prints (no solid white or solid black though)




Aqua prints, batiks and/or solids



Pink prints, batiks and/or solids, think bubblegum pink



Optional - one thin strip 1" to 1 1/2" wide of bright yellow.  * See note below



Choose one of the above color choices, b&w, aqua or pink for the block center (not yellow). Cut a 5 inch square. Build the log cabin blocks with strips in any widths between 1 and 2 1/2 inches wide. Add first strip to side of 5 inch center block. The pink strip in my example.




Continue adding strips, by going round and round in a concentric manner. (Since this is not a traditional log cabin with matching logs going on in pairs, I admit, that if I set it aside, I was not sure which side the next strip goes on. If that happens, just start looking at the first 5 inch long strip applied to the center and follow around to see where the next one goes. Maybe you won't have this problem but I did sometimes!) Build out the block to be at least 15 inches square. When you get closer to the outer edges, kind of plan a little ahead. When adding the final perimeter strips, just make sure you don't end up with a skinny strip around the outside edges, I used wider strips.

Square up, if needed, as you go along and iron towards the outside strip as you attach each strip.

Here is center with four strips and the next one goes on the side of the first pale pink strip.




If you have a large assortment of fabrics, it would be great if you can use a variety with no repeats. But if not, don't sweat it and use what you have. If you repeat fabrics, just space them around the block so they are not adjoining on their long sides. Also try to use around at least 3 black & white pieces.

No need to trim down, it is up to you. And since this is a bit free form the center square may NOT be in the center when finished - that is fine!

Completed blocks




* Note: for alternative block.

So after making my two examples, I decided it might be better with a bit of a bright color thrown in occasionally. So I made an alternative block with thin strip of bright yellow (between 1 and 1 1/2 inches wide).

It is your choice, please make the original block above OR make the alternative block by inserting one strip of yellow somewhere in the block.  I will be happy with either one!



Contact me with any questions.

Best wishes for great 2020 and lots of fun sewing and to many completed projects!

Gayle

No comments: