Monday, July 1, 2019

Hive 1- July Tutorial - Beachy Block

Hi! I’m Lindsey and it’s my first year in stash bee! In fact, I only started my first quilt last July (finished it in December)! So this is my first time doing something like this and I’m really enjoying it. 

Fingers crossed it’s finally about to be summer here in Seattle and we have a lot of camping trips planned - by bike! And never fear, I always pack a quilt or two. 


**Sorry for the delay! We had a great time camping - but it took me a minute to get back to my computer and fix the photos!**

In keeping with that summer theme I’m feeling a beach vibe. For July I’ve decided on an imperfect beach themed log cabin. 



There should be a center block that is summery/beach-y/ocean-y. I’m open to your interpretation here! 

Then there should be 4-5 complementary fabrics. 

Each block will stand alone - so don’t worry about matching my colors. 

Here’s an example of three different blocks I put together:



Cutting Instructions:

The center should be at least 3x3”, but no more than 5x5”

The strips should range from 1.5-3” in width. I used scraps or cut WOF (planning to save the extra length for binding). 

Block construction:

Start with your center block and just start sewing! 

I usually mock up each row around the outside to make sure I don’t end up with Y seams or weird issues with length (especially scraps)



After each strip, press and trim to size. 




Keep going until you get a block that’s 16.5”. The “center” block doesn’t need to stay at the center.

Here are more examples:


You might notice I had to piece some strips to make them long enough - totally do that if you want!

Extra square:
If you’d be so kind - I’d love to have a 3x3” of a light color from your block. If you could sign it & add where you’re from (1/4” in from all sides) that would be great! You can use a sharpie. I’m hoping to piece them together for the back as a reminder of the project!

2 comments:

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I can't get the pics to to open. Can you try again to post them?

Alanna said...

The photos dont work for me either, I just emailed Lindsey about it. Hope to get it sorted out soon.