Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hive 5 January Tutorial - Red, White and Blue Stars

Hello Busy Bees!  Welcome to 2019 and an all new year of
Stash Bee yumminess!!

My name is Laura and this is my fourth year with Stash Bee!


The block I chose for this month is super easy!  It took me less
than 15 minutes, start to finish.  However, I have made these before :)

It's my favorite
star pattern ever....created by Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew.  

The pattern is available in PDF for free HERE
{Allison made a gorgeous Christmas Star quilt}

Please use these colors from your stash for the blocks:

bright reds, navy, medium and light blues
and white, white on white, low volume whites, very, very light gray


{inspiration photos}


{my IG friend's quilt}


Tutorial for block:


Cut for one block:
8 - 4" squares for background
1 - 4" square for the center of the star
8 - 3" squares for the star points



Draw a diagonal line on the back of each star point 3" square.
This will be your stitching line.


Place the 3" square in the corner of one of the 4" background squares.
Stitch on the penciled line and cut 1/4" away.


Press corner out.



Add another 3" square as pictured. 



Stitch on the line and cut out like before.


Press star point out.


Repeat on 3 more background squares.

Now the block goes together simply like a nine patch block:





The block will measure about 11" - don't worry if it is not exact as 
I'll be trimming them all when they arrive.

Also, don't worry if your star is a little wonky - wonky works for me.

Have fun and be creative.  



Peace to all,
Laura







No comments: