Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Hive 1 November Block Tutorial

Hello from Wisconsin.  Diane G. here with the Hive One November block.  I've really enjoyed Stash Bee this year.  The colors, the patterns and getting to know new friends.  I've been quilting for 15 years.  Some years daily and some years when I can as I work full-time.  I have two kids, both have finished college and both were married in the last year.  I live with my husband Steve.  Our family dog passed away in April.  😞
Good news is that we are going to get a puppy in December.  🐾🐾

I chose something fairly simple to wrap up our 2017 year.




First:  Fabric.  My favorite fabric is by fabric designer Marcia Derse.  I met Marcia in her booth at Quilt Expo in Madison, Wisconsin.  She had the same energy in person as I see in her fabric.  Left side of photo.  My second favorite is the Fossil Fern line of fabric on the right side of the photo.  So for my block look in your stash for BRIGHT BOLD COLORS.  For the background color I used a small black print on white.  Or you could use solid white or white on white too.  No children's prints please.











My block works well with fat quarters.  Pair the bold color with a white background and cut three strips at 2.5 inch x 20 inch.  Sew a quarter inch seam on the long edge of TWO of the 3 strip sets.  Press the seam to the dark or open as you prefer.


Take the third strip set (not sewn) and sub-cut into FOUR 4.5 inch sections.  You will need:

Four color at 2.5" x 4.5"

Four white at 2.5" x 4.5"














After pressing, Sub-cut the two sewn strips into 8.5 inch sections.  You will get two sections per strip set.  Your cut section should be 4.5 inches wide now.

Layout the pieces according to my photo to the right.

Sew the 4.5 inch ends on the 8.5 inch sections.

Sew the sections together.  Press the seam to the dark or open as you prefer.








Here is the finished block:



The finished block now measures:

12.5" x 16.5 "  cut size

and will be

12" x 16" finished when I put the top together.











Hope to blog with you again next year in Stash Bee.
Diane





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Diane. Love this block

Annette Mandel said...

My daughter says this is the double-decker couch from the Legos movie! We love it!! A78mandel at yahoo dot com

T said...

Love Marcia Derse fabric! Won a bundle before our LQS closed… you are going to have a beautiful quilt, Diane!
T