Dear Hive Mates,
Happy October! I am reaching out this month for a quick and easy block. This block is so easy that this tutorial may not even be necessary for most of you, as the assembly will come intuitively. I am hoping to have a variety of blocks that are not identical in the center size/placement. So, no stress, have fun!
With your help, I’ll be able to quickly prepare a lap size quilt for a friend.
Block: 10”x10” square block, with a square or rectangular center.
Fabric: The colors I have in mind are nothing inspired by the new Fall season! Instead, I am looking for a palette composed of lavender/dusty purple, raspberry/pink, aqua/turquoise, sage green and coral/red.
Inspired by this Kaffe Fassett fabric:
And this palette created by Google Gemini:
Please, *no* yellow, *no* bright orange.
Select two fabrics out of this palette, either solids, read solid or small flower prints (I love flowers). Batiks are fine. We will call one fabric “accent”, and one will be called “main”.
Cutting: I don’t have specific cutting instructions. You may even know intuitively how to prepare the block. If you want to use a larger center and make it fit in a 10”x10” block, go ahead! I am not looking for identical blocks, a little variety is nice, so you really cannot go wrong in making this block!
Should you need more precise directives, you may look at the Hive 1-April 2026 tutorial, available here
or you can follow along “a-b-c-d-e-f”:
a) One 3”-4” square or rectangular center using the accent fabric,
b) One 10.5” strip of the main fabric, as wide as what you selected in a),
c) Two 10.5” x 4” strips of the main fabric,
d) Cut the strip prepared in b) in two,
e) Sew each two sections prepared in d) on each side of the square/rectangular center prepared in a), and
f) Sew each strip prepared in c) along the strip assembled in e).
Press however you prefer. The square/rectangular center does not need to be centered! No need to trim down to a perfect 10”x10”.
Thank you all for your generous contribution to my project!


No comments:
Post a Comment