Thursday, October 1, 2020

Hive Two October Tutorial: Circle of Friends Block

 


Hive 2            October 2020





“Circle of Friends”

I made this block in a local group of ours, early 2019.  

My block is turning out to 13 3/4 inches. I am planning on adding a dark border around each block before I assemble the quilt, so don’t get too hung up on the size.

I prefer a light tone on tone (off white, cream, beige) for the background fabric. It can have a design on it.  (No solids please.  No Halloween fabric please.)  I like movement/dark/bright fabrics for the focus fabric, not juvenile.  My favorite colors are purple, red, orange, brown, black, earthy tones.

In my block the background looks solid, but it does have a subtle design on it. To show the blocks step by step I’ll be using a scrappy background.


Block A

Cut four 3” x 3” focus fabric.                                                                                                        

Cut four 3” x 2 ½” background fabric.                                                                                          

Cut four 5” x 2 ½” background fabric.      


 


                                                                                    

 

Block B

Cut eight 3” x 1 ½” background fabric.

Cut eight 5” x 1 ½” background fabric.

Cut four 3” x 3” squares focus fabric.

 



  

Block C

Cut one 5” x 5” square of background fabric.


 



Block A - These blocks are the four corners.

1. Sew the 3” focus fabric to the 2 ½” x 3” background fabric.  Press towards the background fabric.

2. Sew the 5”x 2 ½” rectangles background fabric to one side.  Press towards the background fabric.

Units A are complete.

 


                                     Block B - This block is positioned in the centre top, bottom, and centre of the sides.


1. Sew 3” x 1 ½” rectangles to opposite sides of a 3” x 3” square focus fabric.  Press seams to background.

2.  Sew 5” x 1 ½” rectangles to other side of focus fabric.  Press seams to background.


                                     Block C - Cut one 5” x 5” square of background fabric.

 


ASSEMBLING THE CIRCLE OF FRIENDS BLOCK:




 

The nine patch block is assembled by sewing the units together as shown.

Create three rows and press the seams towards the unit A blocks on the top and bottom rows. Press the middle row towards the Centre block.


I have been sewing up a storm in my little sewing room in Kamloops, B.C.  As we have now entered my favourite season, I look forward to even more sewing.  I have been enjoying this group very much and look forward to receiving your blocks and creating my One of a Kind Quilt from all your contributions.   

Betty







No comments: