Friday, March 1, 2019

Hive 1 March Tutorial - Picnic Time Block

First things first, I am in the midst of moving from Michigan to South Carolina this month, so please do not mail my block until April 1, then I don't need to worry about things getting lost in the mail.

I am Jan and have been quilting for almost five years.  This is my second year in a Stash Hive.  Last year was very enjoyable and I learnt so many things.  Also there were so many creative blocks, I am in envy.

With things very crazy here, I have opted for a very simple block.  The Fat Quarter Shop had a quilt using the Picnic Time block.  The quilt instructions are here.  We will be making one block which finishes at 15 1/2 x 15 1/2.

This is the block




 Please do not add the borders, per the FQS instructions, to the block.  I will add all the borders.

I have their permission to use the block, here is the pdf file for the quilt and block, here.

I would like my block to be red, white and navy.  The red should be mostly red.  The blue should be mostly navy and the white can be solid, tone on tone or low volume reading white.

If you can use one red, one white and one blue fabric that would be great.  If your stash doesn't work out, then go ahead and make it scrappy.

Here is my mini fabric pull, most of my fabric has been in storage since we sold our house last spring.  You really can't see the white on whites.




Following are the cutting instructions from FQS.  We will only be using the following pieces


Part            Fabric          Quantity          Size
A               White                4                3 ½” x 6 ½” rectangles
B               White                5                3 ½” squares

E               Navy                  4               4 ½” square
F               Red                    2               3 ½” x 9 ½” rectangles  
G              Red                    2               3 ½” x 6 ½” rectangles

H              Red                    2               3 ½” squares


Here are the instructions to put the block together.












Here is my sample block.




Don't forget to not mail the block until April 1.  Thanks for sewing for me.

I look forward to another great quilt this year put together by so many blocks from all over the world.









No comments: