Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November Tutourial For Hive 9

Hello All
      I am super excited that it is finally my month. A little about me, I am single and live in Edmonds right outside Seattle, Washington, one of the most beautiful places.  I am very blessed to be able to work at an amazing modern fabric shop, Circa 15 Fabric Studio.  I am a proud member of the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild.  Also I am teaching two of my nieces, ages 11 and 6, how to sew and quilt, and I'm loving their creativity. 

My block this month is a simple improvisational  "made fabric" of low volumes.  I am using the techniques out of "15 Minutes of Play - Improvisational Quilts" by Victoria Findlay Wolfe. 
I will then be turning our blocks into HST with orange, yellow and red cross-weaves like this. 

 
 

 

 
 Here are some low volume examples like I am looking for. If the fabric has subtle color, that is fine.
 

 

 


A tip of Victoria Findley Wolfe's is to set your stitch length small, I use a 2.0 stitch length.  Start with scraps or strips (approx. 2.5-5.5") of several low volumes. If cutting strips then sub cut no bigger than 5.5" x 5.5".  Start sewing two pieces together, press seam open, and trim to even.


 

Keep adding strip sets.


 If you are not using scraps that come with their own angles, you may have to create your own by cutting one side on an angle, like picture. 



Continue to move around the block, feeling free to create interesting angles and shapes by trimming the block.


 

 Trim up to 12" Block. 
The more random, the better.  This took me 40 minutes from cutting from yardage to finished block.  That includes ironing every seam open. 


 

 

Hope you enjoy a little low volume freedom.
 
Kristi 

1 comment:

Allison/Savage Pink said...

Hey Kristi! Thanks for a fun block which is a great way to use up some scraps! I really look forward to making up some made fabric for you!