Monday, November 1, 2021

Hive 4 November Tutorial -- Wonky Rainbow Log Cabin

Hello!

My first stash bee has been wonderful. Every block has been a delight and gets me flexing different quilting muscles. Thank you so much! Kristin 

Block:

Ready to make a Wonky Rainbow Log Cabin block? Yay! 

This is intended to be both fun and a stash buster. Unless you don’t find wonky fun, then you can make them as perfectly square as you’d like. 

Fabric: 

Pull from your stash any type of fabric that reads ROYGBV. They can be solids, batiks, novelties, jewel tones, muted tones—I’m very open. Get a bag of Skittles to inspire you!

Size: 

No smaller than 4” x 4” and up to 9” x 9”
 

Wonky:

You can leave them wonky and not perfectly squared up. Again, if you are uncomfortable with wonky, I think you should give it a try! Or you can measure out a strip that is about 2” wide by whatever length. 
 

Log cabin:

You can start with a red center, which is traditional. Or you can do the reverse and start with a purple (or violet for ROYGBV). With the talent this group has shown, I am confident we’ve all sewn at least one log cabin block before. If not, here is a very traditional tutorial to go along with my snazzy photos below. Also, I press my seams open, but you can do whichever pleases you. 

 
I’m only looking for one block from each member of this hive. However, be warned they are fun to make, and I usually make a bunch at a time. I will take whatever you'd like to send! 

Process photos:
 
I started with a bunch of rainbow-colored batik strips. 



 









The center red square about 2.5” from the strip (which are 2.5”).

Then an orange piece lined up next to red, cut to length. Then a ruler-free cut down the middle of the orange piece so it’s not too wide. Plus, the wonkiness can go from subtle to exaggerated as you build. 
 
Then the yellow piece, same as orange (yellow piece shown slightly smaller below after sewing, your eyes do not deceive you).

 
Then green piece, turning as you go, same as orange. 



 









Then blue. 



 









Then purple. 



 









Then voila! You have a small block (approx. 4” x 4”)



 









If you do two rounds you will have the larger size block (up to 9” x 9”)

Here is completed with red in the middle. 












Then completed with purple to start. 
 




 

 







Side by side. 



 









As shown above, you can leave them as they are, meaning don't worry about them being squared up. 

My end goal is a funky, wonky, rainbow, scrappy, log cabin quilt! And I thank you for all your rainbow goodness in advance. 
 
Thanks for a great year. Cheers! 

Kristin

 
 
 
 

No comments: