Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Hive 4 - May Tutorial: Stacked Squares

Hello Hive 4 and welcome to May! This is Diana from Red Delicious Life and I've got a super easy block for you this month. It doesn't look very impressive but it's what I plan to do with it after you send it to me.



I'm going to make these blocks into a Stacked Squares quilt. It was originally posted on the Moda Bake Shop, but it wasn't until I saw Kelly's version of it from My Quilt Infatuation that made me want to make it. I plan to give this quilt to my oldest brother.

 

Here is my color inspiration for your blocks - Greens with grays:


Think sage and slightly muted greens. Light and dark gray (which aren't in the design seeds pic above) is good too. Use your best judgment when it comes to the placement of the fabrics so that there is a good contrast. I tended to alternate between light and dark (light-dark-light or dark-light-dark)

Because the original block was 18" square, I've had to make some changes to fit within the StashBee guidelines so please follow my tutorial below.


CUTTING

You'll need 3 different fabrics cut to the following sizes:

Fabric A = cut (1) 8.5" square

Fabric B = cut (2) 2.5" x 8.5" rectangles
                  cut (2) 2.5" x 12.5" rectangles

Fabric C = cut (2) 2.5" x 12.5" rectangles
               = cut (2) 2.5" x 16.5" rectangles





PIECING INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1 - take the smaller Fabric B rectangles (2.5" x 8.5") and sew them on opposite sides of the Fabric A square. Then take the longer Fabric B rectangles (2.5" x 12.5") and sew them on the top and bottom. You will now have a Square-within-a-Square unit.



Step 2 -  take the smaller Fabric C rectangles (2.5" x 12.5") and sew them on opposite sides of the Square-within-a-Square unit above.



Step 3 - Finally, take the longer Fabric C rectangles (2.5" x 16.5") and sew them on the top and bottom.



And that's it! You should end up with a double Square-within-a-Square block that measures 16.5" square.



I'm asking that you leave them just like that. I will cut them up and rearrange them when I'm ready. If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks!


~ Diana @ Red Delicious Life


No comments: