Friday, June 1, 2012

Hive 2 June Quilt :: Geometric Mess


I love the look of faceted shapes. They can be called crystals, but, no crystal looks like what we're making, plus, I don't want to you feel like we're making a mystical, wizard's quilt. Who knows, maybe the result will be a lil magical ;)
The finished result will be a collection of solid colored geometric shapes together on a kona black quilt top. If you're having trouble getting kona black, I can send you a square.

To start: just draw a series of three or four sided shapes together to make a 'crystal' shape. Practice on a computer, or in real life with a pen and ruler. Here's an example of shapes I was playing around with. 

You can make them complex, or simple. The more creative you get, the bigger the shape should get so it's easier to sew. I'd say make a series of large and small shapes. I also played with color and enjoyed using similar colors in a range of tones to create the look of depth. I asked for two different solid colors as the rules stated, but if you can, three or more (per shape), it makes the process easier.

For more shape ideas go to this gallery on Flickr: 

I used paper piecing to make the shapes, but if you have a different way that works for you, go for it.

Paper piecing
This method isn't that hard, you get really crisp lines, and the shape will look exactly as you want it.
You'll need:
  • freezer paper or paper and glue stick
  • bunch of solid-colored scraps
  • Iron
  • rotary cutter
  • ruler

If you can't get a hold of freezer paper, use regular paper and either pin or glue stick the paper to fabric.
I'm sorry if the y-seam portion was confusing, here's quick video with a better explanation:

Applique
When you have a collection of faceted shapes you like, arrange them on a 15 1/2”x15 1/2” kona black square. Straight stitch them down in a thread color similar to the colors you're using. All done!

 Thanks in advance, I hope this isn't too crazy to make, or makes you too crazy. 
-Laurel

9 comments:

LYNN said...

Oh this looks like fun!! This will be a cool quilt!

Suzanne said...

OOH! I'm excited to try this! Thanks for the video. I was intimidated at first, but after seeing it done, I can't wait to give it a go:)

Rebeckah Austin said...

Oh this looks like fun! I am excited to get started!

Saltwater Quilts said...

Wow! I can't wait to see everyone's blocks. This is exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

That is a very cool idea!

mammafairy said...

Just checking, you only want solids, no patterned fabrics in this?

I have been having fun sketching already. Excitement is fizzing all over!

laurel said...

yes please with the solids. I think it will make everything consistent. I'm glad you guys like the idea!

Nancy D. said...

What a fun idea. I look forward to seeing where this leads.

Camille said...

That's one swanky tutorial video.

I've never done y seams. Wish me luck!