Thursday, June 1, 2023

Hive 3- June Tutorial - Books

 Hello Hive, 

I'd like to enlist your help on a quilt for my little sister. She's getting a master's degree and I thought a bookcase quilt might be a nice graduation gift at some point. In going to use a dark brown for the background, so I'm asking that you just send me books that are not sewn together so I can attach background and assembly the shelves here. 


I'm going to blatantly borrow the tutorial posted by Adrienne last year which had some beautiful layouts. 

 

Sizing: books should be no taller than 8.5" and no thinner than 1". When laid out books can span up to 16" (you don't need to make that many,  however many you'd like will be lovely). Books can be as simple as single strips of fabric, have binding stripes or even be on their sides with pages showing. Remember that you are not attaching a background to these, just send the books.


Here are a few books I've made so far. These first pictures have the background attached so you can see what a "shelf" might look like. 





These are a few I've made that don't have background yet, showing some different layout options. 




As you can see my fabric choices are pretty eclectic, I've even got some woven ribbon in there. I'm trying to keep it fun and interesting, blending bright contemporaries with vintage inspired books, and will be adding some pieced components relating to her plants, cats and studies in India. Backing is going to be a gorgeous sunflower field.  

No comments: