I'm really looking forward to this year of Stash Bee block making. I have lots of stash to use up! And I want to push myself to do some new things. And it's always fun to make new friends.
Yvonne's block is one she designed herself, and it's based on half square triangles. I just completed a HST quilt for my nephew-to-be, but that was a much simpler affair. The Plus Banner Block is really beautiful, and it stretched me a bit. Precision piecing does not come naturally to me, so I really have to mind my Ps and Qs. I hope Yvonne is happy. I actually cut fabric for two blocks, but this one took me so long I didn't get around to the second.
And so to my Q&A...
1. Name: Allison Schnackenberg (aka Savage Pink)
2. Where you live: Fort Lauderdale, FL. We moved here 2 years ago from London, England, where I lived for 28 years.
3. Tell us about your family: I have been with my partner (aka Him Indoors) for 10 years. We have a British Staffordshire Bull Terrier named Billie, she’s 8 years old and we rescued her from a wonderful shelter in London when she was one.
4. Tell us about your pets: See above! And see my Instagram feed for plenty of pictures of Billie.
5. How long have you been quilting? I made my first quilt in 2013.
6. What crafts do you do other than quilting? Hand embroidery was my first true crafting love. Quilting took over for a while but I’m now working on combining the two. I also enjoy lino cutting & block printing on paper and fabric, crochet, and most things that involve making a mess. Is cooking a craft? I love that as well.
7. Fabric line you want to buy next: I’m really starting to find my voice with quilting and as I do so, I am less interested in fabric lines and more interested in value, hue etc - and of course I’m buying more solids. My exception will probably continue to be Carolyn Friedlander - I find her pattern design truly unique and wonderful to work with.
8. Preferred quilting method (FMQ, long arm, hand, etc.): I enjoy both machine quilting on my Juki 2010Q, and hand quilting. I’ve tried some longarms at quilt shows and would love to explore this more in the future - but I don’t have the space right now!
9. Where we can find you on social media: on my blog, Savage Pink, Instagram, Flickr, Twitter, Pinterest…
10. Favorite book: Impossible to answer! There are too many. Probably something by Charles Bukowski, or maybe Stone Junction by Jim Dodge, or very likely anything by Derek Raymond.
11. Favorite show to binge watch: I don’t seem to have the time for TV lately. I generally listen to music (pretty much everything except jazz) or listen to podcasts while working and crafting. When I do watch TV, it’s usually dark stuff like True Detective, Luther, or Sherlock. Unsurprisingly, I like a lot of British shows.
Roll on February... in like, an hour. Ha ha ha!